Saturday, October 22, 2005

Velkommen to Tryggbløg

After years (or months … maybe weeks, actually) of complaining that blogs are a complete waste of time, here we are with a blog of our own.

I’m Erik Tryggestad of Edmond, Okla. My wife, Jeanie, has been reading her friends’ blogs for some time, and that was part of the reason we decided to launch this site.

I don’t know whether or not blogging (I’m assuming such a word would have two g’s together like that) will prove to be a fad in the great universe of things that define this decade, but it seems to be an increasingly popular form of communication, and I’m in the communication business.

I’m a reporter with The Christian Chronicle, a monthly newspaper for members of churches of Christ. We’re online at christianchronicle.org. Oklahoma Christian University owns our publication.

Jeanie is a first-year pediatric resident at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center. We’ve been married for close to two-and-a-half years. She’s the red in my painting, to borrow a line from the film I Am Sam. Jeanie grew up in Altus, Okla. I’m from Macon, Ga.

We’re not quite sure what sort of stuff we’ll post on this blog. There will be some family news, and likely some of my bizarre rants about television commercials.

I’m also hoping to use this site to give the Chronicle’s readers a bit of insight into the editorial process we use at the newspaper.

The Chronicle, like most newspapers in the United States, is looking for ways to connect with new readers, especially those under age 50. Some months ago my brother-in-law asked me for a copy of the paper. A popular Oklahoma Christian professor, Curt Niccum, had written a column for our paper and he wanted to read it. He found out about the column by reading Dr. Niccum’s blog.

That means something, I said to myself. So here we are.

2 comments:

Donna G said...

Welcome to blog-land. You will find that you are correct about the time wasting aspect...but, it is addicting and strangely fulfilling.

It is amazing how a nationwide group of Christians who would never communicate otherwise have found each other and encourage each other regularly. I hope you enjoy it.

Karen said...

Love your "red in my painting" quote... that was probably the best line in the whole movie! Welcome to the blogosphere..