Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Vive Quebec!

(By Erik)

I'm back from a trip for The Christian Chronicle up north. I spent a few days visiting churches and missionaries in the Canadian province of Quebec. It was a bit on the cold side at times, but it was a great trip. Imagine a rainy, snowy land full of good-natured, French-speaking Midwesterners and you've pretty much got the idea. And its cities look a lot like Europe.

I'm including a few photos I took in Montreal. These aren't my best, but they're the only ones I have access to here at the house.

Here's a shot from downtown Montreal. It was raining, as you can tell. The older sections of the town look very much like Europe.

Here's a shot from the top of the "mountain" near the middle of Montreal. Mike Mazzalongo, a missionary and minister for the Verdun Church of Christ, was our tour guide.

Mike told me that Montreal was the site of the world's first hockey game. Here's a poster advertising the play The Canadiens, which shares its name with the city's celebrated NHL team.

Here's a shot of my rental car. Turns out Quebecers do drive on the same side of the road as us. Boy, is my face red! (But it's healing. The doctor said I could be eating solids again by the end of the week!)

1 comment:

Danny said...

Oh Canada.

Just so happens I recently read a very interesting article in The Restoration Quarterly about some of the history of the Church of Christ in that country.

Very interesting. Thanks for the report and look forward, no doubt, to reading more about it in the Chronicle.