Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Reflections on witnessing a crime

(By Erik)

For the first time in my life, I am a victim of thievery.

I’m still in a state of quasi-shock about it. You think you live in a safe place like Edmond, Oklahoma, not the mean streets of New York City.

And then something like this happens.

I had just finished ordering at Taco Mayo after church tonight when I noticed a young lady standing behind me. She and some friends had entered the restaurant as I was waiting for Jeanie to meet me, so I moved out of the way to let them order.

But she and her friends (one female, one male) had milled around, gone in and out of the bathroom, and now only the one, dark-haired girl was left behind me. I glanced over my shoulder at her and noticed she was staring at me and glancing at the counter — with a very nervous look on her face.

Then it happened.

All I remember is that the girl suddenly ran out of the restaurant. Later I learned the terrible truth. Before she made her exit she leaned forward and grabbed something off of the plastic tray that was waiting for me.

That’s right … she stole my taco.

It turns out that her two cohorts were waiting in the car to make a speedy getaway. I thought about giving chase, but it was too late. That taco likely was digested before they were out of the parking lot.

It makes me so sad to think of what became of the stolen taco. Did that rebellious girl savor it like I would have? How could she? Did she visit the salsa bar and lovingly coat it with salsa verde and pico de gallo? Of course not. (At least I didn’t see her steal any condiments.) Did she bother to share with her diabolical getaway drivers? How satisfied could three people be with one taco?

The folks at Taco Mayo were good enough to make me another taco, but it wasn’t the same.

I’m sure the restaurant’s insurance will cover the cost of the taco that was stolen, but I wouldn’t be surprised if their premiums go up, raising the price of tacos for all of us law-abiding consumers.

Crime simply doesn’t pay. And at the end of the day, all it brings us is a dry, un-salsa-laden mass of ground beef, lettuce and cheese on a crispy shell (because I like the crunchiness, and I still think this whole “soft taco” craze is just a fad).

6 comments:

Karen said...

Gosh, at first I thought you were going to say that your house was robbed. Whew!

Mgam said...

At least they didn't steal your Potato Locos!!!

EandJTrygg said...

My husband failed to mention that I had to tell him all the events that transpired because he was oblivious to the whole thing, including the chick running out the door and the Taco Mayo employee taring off after her into the parking lot.
Jeanie

Anonymous said...

I think it was the TLF - the Taco Liberation Front

-Pez

ann said...

"That’s right … she stole my taco."

Hahahahaha! I laughed out loud for a good 30 seconds when I read that. Then I laughed again when I read Jeanie's comment that you were truly oblivious. :)

EandJTrygg said...

Jeanie's remembering me as much more oblivious than I actually was, by the way.

I was confused because I thought that the Taco Mayo employee and the taco thief knew each other somehow. This may have been an "inside job."

I know stealing a taco isn't that big a deal on its face, but it's well-known that tacos are the "gateway drug" into "harder stuff."

Today it's "only tacos," but as the addiction sets in, you'll find yourself stealing burritos, enchelada platters, pinatas — and the next thing you know you're stuffing a mariachi band into your trunk!

--Erik