Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Thoughts on Bailey's retirement

(By Erik)

A little more than a week ago we bid farewell (sort of) to Bailey McBride, who’s leaving his post as editor of The Christian Chronicle after 10 years.

He’s been part of the Chronicle’s staff for more than 25 years — since it came to Oklahoma Christian University in 1980. He’ll continue to be part of our family, writing his monthly column and attending meetings when he wants to. The Chronicle published an interview with him this month.

Bailey’s been a big part of our lives for the past five years. I was working for the Savannah Morning News when I got an e-mail from Kim Chaudoin, a longtime friend from the PR office at Lipscomb University. She told me that the Chronicle was looking for a new staffer. She didn’t think I was interested but passed the message along anyway because I was the only full-time newspaper guy who might remotely want to apply.

I wasn’t really interested, but I was curious enough to apply. One phone interview and a trip on Delta later, I found myself face-to-face with Bailey. (It was July of 2001, so he met me at the gate.)

Five minutes later, I knew I wanted the job.

I couldn’t imagine having a boss like Bailey. I thought your boss was someone you were supposed to talk about behind his or her back. Bailey was different, and after spending a couple of days with him and Joyce (along with Scott LaMascus, Lindy Adams and Joy McMillon) I was sold on the Chronicle. (And the cheese enchiladas at Chelinos in Bricktown sealed the deal.)

Since I started working at the Chronicle Bailey’s been a friend, mentor and a sort of adopted grandfather. When Jeanie and I got married, he drove down to Altus and performed the ceremony. He and Joyce are both active members of our small-group Bible study. They’re family.

So I’m glad this isn’t goodbye.

Several of my bosses over the years have taught me to be a better journalist. Bailey has taught me how to be a better person.

1 comment:

ann said...

That is too sweet, and too true. Very nice tribute.