Monday, June 05, 2006

PHOTO: It must be summertime


PHOTO: Ice Cream in the park
Originally uploaded by eandjtrygg.
(By Erik)

Nothing says summer like a big bowl of ice cream — as demonstrated by James Walker, on the left, and his brother, Douglas.

I spent the weekend in Kansas City, Mo., (Jeanie was on call at the hospital) and visited a couple of churches for the Chronicle.

The Swope Parkway Church of Christ celebrated its 70th anniversary with a picnic in nearby Swope Park and a special program after services on Sunday. I met a lot of great folks, including Sarah Friday, who's taught third and fourth grades since 1977.

I asked her if kids have changed since she started teaching. "They have," she said. "But I haven't." She said she's a big believer in discipline. I talked to another church member, whose kids were in her class in the late 70s and now have kids of their own. "She'll hold your feet to the fire," he said of sister Friday, "but she'll love you to death."

I also visited the Overland Park Church of Christ just across the border in Kansas. I interviewed their children's minister, Carol Gafford, for an upcoming issue. I also stopped by a camp for kids in rural Kansas on the way home. I'll try to post some photos from that later.

Click on the photo to see a couple of additional ones from the homecoming.

No comments: