Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The world at our dorm steps


(By Erik)

This year we’ve got some new students at Oklahoma Christian University from the nation of Rwanda. Most of them arrived on campus recently. They’re here through a scholarship program that was announced when the Rwandan president visited OC earlier this year.

The students who got here earlier in the day were treated to a lunch of chicken and steak fajitas in the student center.


Here’s Allen Thompson, on the right (not the baby), talking to one of the Rwandan students. Allen is from Ethiopia and is actively involved in the missions organizations on campus. Allen’s got a great story, too. You can read some of it in this story about the film “Invisible Children.” Allen is mentioned near the end of the story.


Dan Hays, our men’s basketball coach, was one of the first people to greet the new students. He kept asking them how tall they were and if they knew what a “free throw” was. (Just kidding!)


I love this photo. Mike O’Neal, OC’s president, introduces one of the new students to his grandson.


Here’s Michael Cady, the controller for the school, with a couple of the students. Michael and his entire family (brother, sister, their spouses and kids, plus his dad and mom) were in Belize earlier this year as part of the mission team I joined, coordinated by Windle and Barbara Kee. You can read more about that here.

2 comments:

Karen said...

I've always wondered... what does it mean to be a controller? or is that comptroller?

EandJTrygg said...

I think it used to be spelled "comptroller" and pronounced "controller" but now it's spelled like it sounds because that was needlessly confusing.

They have something to do with finances, as best I can tell.

I had to make a couple of corrections to this post, too. I has Michael as "a controller" and Dan Lovejoy just told me it was "the controller."

Also, apologies to coach Dan Hays. I called him Don Hays — most likely because I was thinking of former Lipscomb University basketball coach Don Meyer.

Jeanie is on the phone talking about protein intollerance. I am VERY protein tolerant. I am PRO-tein.

--Erik