Saturday, September 15, 2007

Maggie, not Maggy

(By Erik)

I was recently informed by my wife that I have already managed to misspell our daughter’s name, even before she’s born. The spelling in the previous post should have been “Maggie,” not “Maggy.”

Of course, either of those spellings merely is an abbreviation for the child’s actual name, Margaret Jean. So I raised the question with Jeanie, “Can you misspell an abbreviation? Is that really possible?”

Evidently, it is. Apologies to my sweet Maggie. (Hey, at least I know how to spell your last name. How many people can say that?)

She continues to be abundantly active — rolling and kicking while Jeanie’s doctor tried to find a fetal heartbeat a few days ago.

She’s so active, in fact, that we become paranoid when she doesn’t move. This morning she missed her usual 5 a.m. kicking and rolling time, and immediately we envisioned her in distress, tied up in her umbilical cord, a victim of her own antics. In the back of my mind I know she’s fine, but I was hoping for news of a kick or a roll before I dropped Jeanie off at work. Life doesn’t always give you those little guarantees, alas.

Oh well. Just four more months until she’s born. Then I can stop worrying.

Right?

5 comments:

Amy said...

I wondered if that was really how you were going to spell her name. So glad Jeanie straightened you out on that.

Micah and Tara Hobbs said...

Oh..only if the worrying stopped after they are born!! Good luck.

EandJTrygg said...

FYI, Maggie started kicking again right after I let Jeanie out of the car, I'm told. This weekend we believe she discovered a new trick we're calling the "bladder headbutt." Not an entirely pleasant experience, I'm told.

Summer said...

Right. You stop worrying and start FREAKING OUT!

Stacey said...

These days, there is no "right" way to spell a name (do you know how many different ways you can spell Stacey?) But I think you're wise to go with the spelling you've chosen. She'll spend less time correcting people when she gets older. =o)