Sunday, September 23, 2007

'Love keeps growing more love'

(By Erik)

Caedmon’s Call, easily my favorite Christian band, put out a new album recently, titled “Overdressed.” The album marks the return of Derek Webb to Caedmon’s. He left the group a few albums back to pursue a solo career. The album also marks the band’s return, more or less, to its coffeehouse roots.

I have to admit I’m a bit disappointed with the album, which sounds like it should have been titled “Overcrowded.” Over the years, the biggest complaint music critics have had with the band is that, because of Caedmon’s insistence on three alternating lead vocalists, its albums have no unified sound.

With Webb’s return, the band now has FOUR lead vocalists. In addition to Cliff and Danielle Young, “Overdressed” features many songs with vocals by Andrew Osenga, who was brought in to replace Webb after his departure. Though a gifted songwriter, Osenga lacks the vocal strength of Webb. It seems like you can hear Osenga’s voice on almost every track — backing or lead vocals. I would have preferred less of Osenga’s voice and more of Webb’s. As it is, Webb’s contributions to “Overdressed” seem more like guest appearances than the work of a guy who has rejoined the band.

Nonetheless, there are some real gems on this album. “Two Weeks in Africa” is easily my favorite song, harkening back to what I consider the band’s greatest work, the world music-influenced “Share the Well.”

But the song that means the most to me right now is “Love Grows Love” (which, like “Two Weeks in Africa,” was written by Osenga).

For the past 10 years Caedmon’s Call has produced songs that speak almost directly to where I am in my life. When I was single and unsure of my future I took great comfort in Webb’s “Table for Two,” a song off Caedmon’s “40 Acres” album. (“Because I’m so scared of being alone, that I forget what house I live in … And you know the plans you have for me, and you can’t plan the ends and not plan the means …”)

Webb got married just a few years before I met Jeanie, and he wrote some great songs about relationships and commitment.

Here are some of the lyrics from “Love Grows Love.” It’s pretty easy to see why these words mean a lot to me right now. (Just substitute “pink” for “blue” in the fourth line!)

When we got the news,
we had to call our families,
and start painting the room,
a nice, bright blue
our vows they started breathing
and they took on flesh and blood
and we held them in our arms
and tasted God was good

I fell in love with you,
and that love became something new
it added a name and it added a smile
it keeps getting bigger every further mile
there on your bended knee
we sowed the seeds of our history
they’re coming up stronger
than we ever could have longed
love keeps growing more love

5 comments:

ann said...

I had no idea you were a Caedmon's fan! I am too! I love this album. My favorite songs are "Hold The Light" and "There is a Reason". But I really like most of the songs on there. Two Weeks in Africa is one of my least favorites, sorry. :) I agree about Osenega's voice... he's a great songwriter, but maybe he should stay a backup. Overall I was impressed with the return to CC's folksy roots. This was a very "40 Acres"ish album, which was my fave of theirs. I had lost hope after Webb left them. :) But now I'm back on the bandwagon! And if you read my blog much you know I adore Derek Webb on his own. I think he's much better and more powerful solo. Okay, I've officially surpassed the acceptable comment length.

Elizabeth Mullins said...

Okay, Jeanie...we need an update on your family so I tagged you!

Eileen said...

Erik, such a nice blog - wish I were familiar with this band, just shows I might be a bit out of touch with my own culture. (wonder why?) But at least I seem to have something in common with the group - (or not?) because lyrics go "...we sewed the seeds of our history..." - and I was wondering their sewing preference - needle and thread or sewing machine? =) Seriously Erik, keep up the good work. EE

preacherman said...

I can't wait to get the albut.
Great post.
I want you to know how much I really enjoy your blog. Keep up the great posts! God bless you and hope you have a great week!

EandJTrygg said...

Thanks for the kind words, preacherman!

Eileen: Good catch! You're right, it should be "sowed," not "sewed." I thought I just copied the lyrics off caedmonscall.com. I went back and checked and, sure enough, that's how they are on the site. I should send them an e-mail so they can correct the lyrics. I'm going to do likewise on this post. Thanks!

-- Erik