Sunday, December 02, 2007

Anticipation

(By Erik)

Just a few weeks ago all the OU fans were telling me that they were rooting for Georgia to get into the SEC championship game. They figured that the Bulldogs had the best chance of knocking off No. 1 LSU, thereby helping the Sooners get into the BCS title game.

Last night, the Sooners played in the Big 12 title game, knocking off (and embarrassing) the No. 1 team in the nation, Missouri. By virtue of that win, the Georgia Bulldogs now have a chance to play in the national championship.

How about that?

Frankly, I’m not sure that I want the Bulldogs to get into the title game. Actually, scratch that. I want the Bulldogs to get into the national title game with all my heart. But to do it in a year so mired in controversy isn’t exactly what I had in mind.

A few years back OU got into the title game against LSU in spite of losing the Big 12 championship to Kansas State. I heard tons of smack talk against the Sooners that year. “They don’t deserve to be there. It should be USC, etc.” Of course, it only got worse after the Sooners lost to LSU.

If Georgia somehow gets into the title game, I’m not looking forward to hearing all of that junk directed against my Bulldogs. The only redemption would be walloping Ohio State in the title game. (Hey, Florida made it look easy last year.)

No offense to Ohio State. They may be a great team. We really don’t know because they played a really slack schedule this year — and still managed to lose to unranked Illinois. I just don’t think they deserve to play for the national title. It’s purely a strength-of-schedule thing.

Truth be told, I think OU deserves a shot at the national title. They played their hearts out against Missouri last night.

If I could have my fondest wish, I would LOVE to see a national title game someday with OU facing off against Georgia.

We’ll find out who’s going where at 7 p.m. tonight. Until then, GO DAWGS!

No comments: