Wednesday, August 29, 2007

WHOOPS! (Pink or blue, part 2)

(By Erik)

We had the “official” ultrasound done today. (The previous one, when we discovered we were having a boy, was done by some medical residents on their lunch break.)

This one wasn’t going to be much of a surprise, but we were nervous nonetheless because this professional ultrasound would tell us if all of young Joseph’s vital organs were intact.

Everything looks good. We’re happy to report that the baby has a four-chambered heart, two working kidneys, a well-developed spine, arms, legs, hands feet, eyes … you name it.

As a matter of fact, there’s only one thing that’s missing from our little boy. He doesn’t have a …


Well, let’s put it this way …

IT’S A GIRL!

That’s right. Little Joseph is actually little Josephina.

The ultrasound technician asked us if we wanted to know the sex. We said, “Yeah, we already know, but tell us anyway.” The tech said, “OK, because I’m seein’ a girl here.”

“You’re seein’ a what now?”

Yeah, I guess you get what you pay for when it comes to free ultrasounds done by medical residents on their lunch hour. I still have the picture they printed us with an arrow pointing to an alleged … well … wee wee.

“So what was that that thing?” I asked Jeanie, somewhat bumfuzzled.

“Dunno. Could’ve just been the umbilical cord.”


(The alleged "thingy" sighting from a couple of weeks ago)

So, please consider this a blogging retraction. I’m still in a bit of a state of shock about it. As you can imagine, I told everyone I met in Africa that we’re having a boy. Both sets of parents have already bought little boy outfits. Jeanie’s dad already has a gun permit for young Joseph.

(That’s a joke, by the way. But oddly enough, now that she’s a girl, I suddenly want her to be well-armed.)

My world has gone from blue to pink in an instant. Now I’m the one who’s outnumbered. All I can see in front of me is countless hours at the mall, ponies and prom dresses.

But God is good, and I’m rejoicing that our daughter looks healthy and everything’s on schedule.

And Josephina is not her name, by the way. Jeanie and I have a few more rounds to go before we come up with a name. I really like Margaret — my grandma’s name. Jeanie remains convinced that all humans should have names beginning with “J,” however.

5 comments:

Karen said...

Oh Wow. So sorry to hear of the confusion. At least SHE is healthy. Becca had her ultrasound this week also, and they are also having a girl, Kylee Michelle.

Stacey said...

Ask Shon Smith about thinking you're having a girl and getting a surprise in the delivery room. I LOVE God's sense of humor!

ann said...

Oh boy! Errr... I mean... Oh baby! :) Yay for the return of Prudence Goodwyfe! :)

Rebecca said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you. I had a feeling that ours was a boy and we found out that she was a girl. We are excited and have started picking out purple stuff for the nursery :)

Anonymous said...

See... this confirms my theory that it's "wrong" to know ahead of time. The Shon Smith story also helps my case. :-) Oh well, at least maybe the grandparents kept their receipts and can return the blue for pink. Although... maybe they should buy one of each... hmmm. This is all very exciting for you guys -- but Tim and I are praying for "future Mama" to be able to stay awake at work. That's gotta be tough with the job she's got!